ChooSum

Er..."Mad Libs" from Regina and Jack? What's this?

Someone posted that on tumblr yesterday! I like it! Mad libs are only good if they turn out weird :)

Wandering around on that site I saw an interview type thing that I've never read before...more like an instant message chat thing but it's full of funny things. I love stumbling upon new old things like this!

Jacks made me laugh.

I read the interview you mentioned, Marielle! It was quite interesting. You never really get unedited interviews like that anymore, which is kind of a shame. I liked the format.

Songs being my favorite album, it was really cool to see her talking about taking it to get duplicated to sell, and then in the next half of the interview, having them all be pressed and ready to go. :)

Kind of interesting/sad to see her talk so proudly about Songs in that interview when she seems so ashamed of it in later ones...

Eh, I believe it's just natural to dislike your earlier work. Also, keep in mind that she was only 22 at this point, I'm sure she's eons different now in comparison to her 22 year old self.

Regina: i'm going to try and play a festival in MA and some shows in NY, finish a CD i've been working on (a different one), learn to tango, go kiss a boy in Florida, and visit some good friends on a farm in Hawaii.... sounds good for now...

I sense that she failed to accomplish most of that. haha. If i recall correctly, the Tom Petty tour last spring was her first trip to FL and last time she played SA, Buenos Aires, she made some comment that she couldn't actually tango, just hold a rose between her teeth. Not that it makes me less impressed. Who knows what happens in >10 years. This interview is still so awesome bc it's actually her words as typed.

Kind of interesting/sad to see her talk so proudly about Songs in that interview when she seems so ashamed of it in later ones...

I don't think she's ashamed of it. It's just a very rough, one-take each album. Interesting compared to how much studio time she has now and the fact that she refers to herself as a perfectionist in the studio.

Well, yeah, that's true. But a lot of us, me included, really like Songs, despite of (or perhaps because of) its roughness. And yeah, she definitely uses production in her songs very effectively, but I do think there's some stuff (like the stuff on Songs) that is perfect with just piano and voice.

I am enjoying Songs, and find the contrast between the early and later versions of Samson and Ne Me Quitte Pas very interesting. I do enjoy the minimalist treatment and creative vocals on Songs; however, Regina seems quite good at adding more extensive arrangements - very possibly a result of her classical training. I also think she brings a more sophisticated vocal approach to the later versions. So yeah - I like them both for different reasons.