Sign in to follow this  
TC

"The Call" and "My Man"

Questions!

1) What exactly are the origins of "The Call?" Was she approached by the producers of Caspian to write and record a song? Was it something she played live before and they'd heard it? I've had trouble coming up with a definitive chronology of events -- anyone know?

2) As for "My Man," I know that many years ago she performed a song called "My Man" live (at Tonic, I think, on Valentine's Day 2004). Is this the same song she recorded for Boardwalk Empire? I'm not sure it is -- I believe Regina said herself at the 2004 concert that she just slapped some lyrics onto the end of a Billie Holiday song. Is it just coincidence that she ended up recording a professional version of a different song?

1) She was asked to write a song for the movie. I think part of the deal was probably that it had to be something that hadn't been heard/released previously.

2) Coincidence I think

The Boardwalk Empire song My Man was the full version of the song she sang at the end of the live version. The original (even before Billie Holiday) was performed by Fanny Brice, I think I don't know if it was a coincidence that it was the same song, or if the producers of the song heard Regina's version and wanted her to cover it. She did a great job on it though...