Sign in to follow this  
Barth

Marrying my nephew

Cute headline and slightly provocative, but a rather straightforward story.

My nephew was married yesterday and he and his new wife asked me to conduct the ceremony. I have no legal authority to do this, so they took care of the legal issues elsewhere, but I was so honored to be able to stand with bride and groom to essentially read a truly beautiful script they wrote.

They also asked if I would insert some personal comments about them, such as when I knew they belonged together and the like, so I scratched a few sentences of that type together. When I finished writing my two paragraphs, though, I felt as if something was missing. And so I added this:

“I am following their lead in how we are conducting this ceremony, but every wedding needs a little poetry, and the only poets that mean anything to me are lyricists. So, here is some poetry

this is how it works

You peer inside yourself

You take the things you like

Then try to love the things you took

And then you take that love you made

And stick it into some -

Someone else's heart

Pumping someone else's blood

Later, I was asked by more than one person about the lyrics and I was proud to to identify her and to tell those who asked that I think she has something meaningful to say about every event one could imagine.

I remain so proud to have been asked to do this and to have injected Regina into such a happy day, that I am willing to give up my secret identity to just link to some of the photos of the event: https://www.facebook...o_album_comment