Sign in to follow this  
Stepped On A Syringe

"Stupid Things" by Sarah Dooley

A friend of mine, who I'm sure a few of you are familiar with, has recently released her debut album "Stupid Things."

Regina's music is one of her principle inspirations, and it is clearly seen through her lyrics and musical style. I believe, although I haven't asked her, that there are even quite a few allusions and references to regina's songs in a few of her own. 

Her album focuses mostly on childhood, adolescence, and the transition into adulthood. My favorite tracks are "Shadows," "Stupid Things," and "Peonies."

You can watch the music video for "Peonies"here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nCEU7tzkGE

Listen to her interview on NPR's "Morning Edition" here: http://www.npr.org/2014/03/04/285581193/sarah-dooley-releases-debut-album-stupid-things

Buy her album on iTunes here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/stupid-things/id764750930

Sarah, a fellow native of Indiana and alumna of Barnard College of Columbia University (in the City of New York) studied playwriting in college and was involved heavily in theater and drama. Her comedy web-series "And Sarah" has gained some internet fame, as well. She's quite funny and goofy, qualities that are exposed through her music, as well. Watch her web series here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0diHw_XZB_8

She's really quite entertaining, and her album has a few gems on it that I'm sure many of you will enjoy. If any of you out there like the movie The Goonies (not sure how one couldn't like this movie), this album is worth a listen.

While Sarah is an acquaintance of mine and I support her artistic endeavors fully, I also truly think it is fantastic that regina's music has influenced and inspired a new generation of musicians and songwriters. In my mind, I still see regina as the underdog, the underground musician, the hidden secret. It still surprises me when I meet people these days who actually are familiar with her music, because I have not yet processed her fame and widespread recognition. Just as regina used to cite her own influences, Joni Mitchell, Ani DiFranco, The Beatles, now regina has become one of those citations, herself. How the time flies!

And no, Sarah didn't pay me to post this!

Yeah she cites her all the time, almost every interview she's done, except for the short NPR one. There's another interview out there--I forget which one-- where she actually admits that some of her older songs imitate regina too much. I know regina has mentioned that herself with some of her work on "11:11" that was, one could say, overly-influenced. Sarah mentioned that there is one of her songs that she actually hates to perform because it exemplifies a period in her life where she would blatantly copy regina's style, before she had developed her own personal style.

But there are some nice references to regina's music that I appreciate. For example, in "Willow Tree," Sarah sings:

Peter Pan is all grown-up, he's a dentist in downtown Chicago.

And the Tooth Fairy OD'ed on noxious fumes.

The mockingbird is out of material.

And my shadow sleeps in a separate room.

I went to the store to find some peace of mind,

but all I could find was milk.

Not only are these lines referencing well-known popular references, but they also mimic regina's style--and perhaps even allude to some of her songs--like "Mockingbird" (obvious references) and "The Devil Come to Bethlehem" (Joseph and Mary are so bad...He practices dentistry without a license, But its alright cause mary read the books and she's got his back). 

I think her music is pretty cool! I noticed that the oooh part in "Peonies" was much like Regina's "Us". Oh, and the Peter Pan dentist thing made me think of The Devil Come to Bethlehem too.. "Their closest blood relative works in a Philadelphia Sears"

This was a messy message sorry  :D

At the risk of sounding creepy - Is it just me or does the mouth area of Gwen Stefani look a little Regina-ish? I've been watching The Voice and every time she's smiling or some little mannerism flashes of Regina. It's been giving me this little warm liking toward Gwen Stefani. I already kind of liked her. But these little Regina glimmers make it more :).

Gwen does seem to share Regi's affinity for red lipstick, not sure I see more resemblance than that, though..  I admit that I am not a fan of shows like The Voice, as the concept of 'instant stardom' bothers me. There are incredibly talented artists (Regina for one) who have had to pay their dues for years, while bombastic over singers get instant celebrity.. My rant for today