Sign in to follow this  
Barth

Love Me or Leave Me

Aside from being the first new Regina recording in way too long a time (motherhood probably does that to a person), this abso-bleeping-lutely spectacular recording of a much recorded well known standard (and, yes, I know the Nina Simone version probably attracted Regina to it) is another reminder (as with My Man, her previous Boardwalk Empire/Vince Giordano recording) of how incredibly versatile and talented our Regi is:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2014/10/24/regina-spektor-boardwalk-empire-final-episode/

I love her own stuff, beyond all words, but, if she does not record a full album of standards, with that incredible voice she has, the world will be poorer beyond belief.

I am not a fan of this expression, but it applies to this recording in all of its meanings:  Oh, my God!!!

Wowww. That is one powerful voice. I love it so much. The you-ooh-ooh-ooh part (you know what I mean right?) is filling me with joy and yeah, I know it's not exactly a feel good song, but I'm reminded what it's like to be blown away by a new Regina song.

It's so cool that Randall Poster is so enthusiastic about her. He's the music supervisor of all the Wes Anderson films, Boyhood, and a lot of other stuff. I hope he'll sneak in a song of hers into a Wes Anderson movie once ;)

I hear more Billie Holiday (another Regina influence) in the interpretation...(high praise indeed)... and yes, an album of standards would be a lovely idea..

Yes.  I hear the Holliday influence but Giordano and the Night Hawks (who, I think, are as perfect at what they do as anyone can be) has Regina singing it much more up tempo than Billie's version (at least the one I have on my Ipod).  But I so remember the 1960s Nina Simone with the semi-classical piano break in the middle.  In those days, a female singer playing the piano as she sang, and doing so with great skill, was very rare and, well, that describes Someone Else quite well.

This thing is just so great.

Wowww. That is one powerful voice. I love it so much. The you-ooh-ooh-ooh part (you know what I mean right?) is filling me with joy and yeah, I know it's not exactly a feel good song, but I'm reminded what it's like to be blown away by a new Regina song.

It's so cool that Randall Poster is so enthusiastic about her. He's the music supervisor of all the Wes Anderson films, Boyhood, and a lot of other stuff. I hope he'll sneak in a song of hers into a Wes Anderson movie once ;)

Good point.  Foster means a lot beyond the usual music circles.

I swear I have a 6th sense. It alerts me to new Regina material lol! I haven't been spending much time with her music, maybe the past year or so. But then, I began checking daily for updates about Regina for about a week before discovering this release, and then boom, there it was!

Anyway, this is a great performance, I love that Love Me or Leave Me and My Man for Boardwalk Empire both have an authentic old-school, classic vocal style, without losing Regina's own flair. What a talent it takes to pull that off! I think she'll always be one of my favorite vocalists and songwriters, as long as I live haha

Here's to a new record! I have been craving one from her lately. I've been spending time rediscovering old gems like the live Dance Anthem (with the winding-down ending) and Daniel Cowman. Or a produced version of Lacrimosa, can you imagine?! I have new hope for these songs since WWSFTCS brought us a new version of Ne Me Quitte Pas!