Universal Edibility

What would you like to see on the new record?

16 posts in this topic

There are currently 36 songs Regina has sung live but never put on an album. I was just wondering what would be your top, lets say... 9 songs of the 44 and ½ songs. I wouldn't be surprised if Party Upstairs and Stay were on the upcoming album, but I'll include them anyway.

The 44 and ½ are: (Year is of earliest known recording)

1. Eternal Life (2001)

2. 8th Floor (2002)

3. The Mustard Musketeers (2002)

4. SoHo (2002)

5. Raindrops (2002)

6. Belt (2002)

7. Dead Rat (2002)

8. One-String Blues (2002)

9. Bear Spektor (2002)

10. AB (2002)

10½. In the Studio (2002)

11. Just Like the Movies (2002)

12. The Soup (2002)

13. Ave Maria (2002)

14. Paris (2002)

15. BYOS (2002)

16. The Bronx (2003)

17. The Floor Heard Everything (2003)

18. Making Records (2003)

19. Happy Hooker (2003)

20. Woolen Gloves (2003)

21. Dust to Dust (2003)

22. Be Like a Cloud (2003)

23. The Devil Come to Bethlehem (2003)

24. Secret Stash (2003)

25. The Clocks Were Asleep (2003) 

26. A Cooler Version of Yourself (2003)

27. A Canon (2003)

28. Mermaid (2004)

29. Dog and Pony (2004)

30. Aquarius (2004)

31. Reginasaurus (2004)

32. Lucky Penny (2004)

33. I Cut Off My Hair (2004)

34. Baby Jesus (2004)

35. Uncle Bobby (2004)

36. You (2004)

37. Loveology (2004)

38. Long Brown Hair (2004)

39. The Virgin Queen (2004)

40. Begin to Hope (2005)

41. Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori (2006)

42. Ink Stains (2009)

43. Party Upstairs (2014)

44. Stay (2014)

Also I'll include Chicken Song, Cinderella, School is Out, and Rockland Country, 4 songs that were recorded but never performed live.

Personally, my top 9 would probably be (in no particular order):

1. Dog and Pony

2. Begin to Hope

3 You

4. Raindrops

5. Dust to Dust

6. Secret Stash

7. Ink Stains

8. Baby Jesus (which was recorded for Begin to Hope but didn't end up in the album...)

9. Mermaid

What would your 9 be?

Of course I am hoping for something new and amazing...I'm not sure I have anything new to add than what it is already listed, but Virgin Queen would be on my list. Since Regina introduced Party Upstairs and Stay recently, I would expect them to be included which is OK by me. I would also like to hear a new version of Dusseldorf, and what the heck, also include the two songs she did so well for Boardwalk Empire (My Man and Love Me or Leave Me)....

Universal Edibility likes this

Ooh, I like this question.

In no particular order...

1. Just like the Movies

2. Making Records

3. Baby Jesus

4. Dog and Pony

5. Rockland County

6. Long Brown Hair

7.The Virgin Queen

8. Ink Stains

9. Loveology

At first I was one of those against the idea of Loveology being on a new album because there's a special charm in hearing the background noise and scratchy quality but then someone convinced me how much more amazing it could sound.

The rest of the album would have Party Upstairs and Stay and more NEW songs.

My 9 in no particular order:

1. I cut off my hair

2. You

3. Loveology

4. Making Records

5. The Virgin Queen

6. Dog and Pony

7. Secret Stash

8. 8th Floor

9. Mermaid

It was pretty difficult for me to pick just 9. These are my top favorite songs she hasn't put on an album, and really they are the songs I would want to hear the most live. 

1. Making Records

2. Loveology

3. 8th Floor

4. The Clocks Were Asleep

5. The Virgin Queen

6. Devil Come to Bethlehem

7. Dulce et Decorum

8. You

9. Dog and Pony (but only kind of...the recording we have now is so charming and sad and sweet...not sure a new recording/more live performances could ever top it.)

This was hard. I'm so excited for a new CD!

Edit Obviously Regina could always just record a quadruple album with ALL of these unreleased songs on it... :D

Seems like Dog and Pony and The Virgin Queen are two popular ones!

That Valentines Day concert (2004-02-14) is one of my favorite things to watch; it seems like it was such a great little intimate show! And who can forget the crafts! I wonder if somewhere out there there is a Regina Spektor original bra (with chocolate of course!)

And you do make a good point TC. There is something really special about that one recording. But who knows? There are songs like All the Rowboats that were recording and turned out really awesome! And then there are others that I'm less a fan of, like Open, one of my favorite songs. I think I prefer the White Session version of that, which is more stripped down. Simply beautiful.

The Virgin Queen is a cool song too! Too bad the recording is a bit shoddy... But still! Yeah, that'd be great!

I'm getting excited!

I can't come up with a short list so here's my train of thought for this: :P

First of all I'm definitely hoping for new songs. I love many of these old ones and know them so well, have listened to them so many times over the years, in the versions we already know..  so at first thought I'm like: it's okay, leave them as they are. Especially when there are demo recordings available, like for Just Like The Movies, or A Cannon.

It's weird, but I've noticed that once there is a studio version of a song, I'll listen to it much more often and will rarely seek out the live/demo version with just Regina and her piano, even if I like that early version better. Just a matter of convenience I guess. But I also love being surprised by the studio recordings. I remember being so overjoyed with Dance Anthem of The 80s, and Time Is All Around, and All The Rowboats, Patron Saint, Small Town Moon.. so why not make a list?

I would love to hear a version of Rockland County that isn't cut off at the end. And that sounds like a song where you could add some interesting, disorienting sounds.

8th floor is so beautiful, and we only have live recordings of it, right? More people should get to know that song.

I've wondered how a studio version of You sounds. I think the way she belts out you-ou-ou in the live recordings is so raw and haunting, it might be hard to beat, but I think it would be so awesome with beautiful classical instrumentation.

I definitely want to a studio version of Party Upstairs! Whether it's on Jack's or Regina's next album I think there's a good chance it will get its release.

No one has mentioned Soho or AB and I love them both. "It's surprising how little things we lose.." So good.

Begin to hope is also a very long-time favorite of mine.

OK, that's 7 songs, guess that leaves more room for new stuff..

9. Dog and Pony (but only kind of...the recording we have now is so charming and sad and sweet...not sure a new recording/more live performances could ever top it.)

This is how I feel about some songs too. And Dog and Pony is one of my favorites. But I'd really like to hear these songs played live again. it would be so amazing. So i'm kind of torn but I just think it would be so cool if some old songs were included in setlists again.

TC likes this