Sign in to follow this  
LoafingOaf

What is the cong "Carbon Monoxide" about?

I think its a love song. when she says "We'll be in bed but we will be oh so very dead" that means that they share a bed which could mean love also she talks about them not caring and that they are together. I think it shows how much they love eachother in a Romeo and Juliette way that they are deeply in love that they would both end there lifes.

I think I fall closest to Ijimeru's interpretation. The couple in the song lives their lives in a (sorry to cite Moulin Rouge) Bohemian way; one in which above all things, the only one that matters is love. Most importantly to the song, their love. They dont care where they live, or die for that matter, just so long as they are together, loving each other. It's in this way that they are so 'cool,' The Guard. They've got life figured out, and it truly is like Romeo and Juliet, with the tragic end to the two.

I definitely always thought about it as an accidental death, just because that is the nature of almost all carbon monoxide related deaths... i guess the whole gyst and mood made me think it was accidental. I'm not one to try and analyze lyrics, though. I'm more interested in how beautiful the music is.

Its obvious its a suicide invitation involving two people who are aimless in society(no jobs).

Let have sex while getting killed by Carbon monoxide.

The song makes me worry a little about Regina's psyche.

quote:
The song makes me worry a little about Regina's psyche.

Why? Who says it has anything to do with her psyche at all? Evidently since she isn't dead, no suicide pacts for Regina. Most artists don't write their songs about themselves. I sure as hell don't.

no no no. its not about suicide its about love. youth. happiness. the idea of carbon monoxide and daddy are just non sequiturs, metaphors if you will. ideas that distract from life. in death, they are more free. the song is about happy hazy existance, and how love gives you that feeling, but so does death (incidentally through CO poisoning). its definitely a good (positive) song.

Love is life not death . I can see some would see positive analogies from some of the lines. But the line that none would miss us as we dont have jobs to keep is not a happy one. Love isnt resignation- retreat yes but not resignation. Not a happy song IMO.

I like to think the song is about love. "Soon We'll go to sleep", maybe they are saying their love has grown past a physical sense, like death, It is spiritual. "Nobody will notice we're gone" meaning nothing else really matters to them, other people cannot really understand the bond between these two people.

As for the socks falling off their feet...I've got no idea