Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Any Good Stories

The forum has been a little slow the past few days. Everbody Ok?

Well I myself have a story to post that has renewed my faith in humanity. Recently a movie I have been waiting for the last two years to be released had a special screening. This was amazing since the movie will not hit theaters for another 5 months. Unfortunately I found this out after they had sold out. A friend of mine had an extra ticket, but as some unfriendly friends can be he opted to sell it on Ebay. Here I was; without a ticket, convinced that humanity was bankrupt, and that my last friend of sorts had gone the way of the Dodo. I was stubborn so I camped inside the theatre with the hope of getting a scalped ticket. The line of people were let in and I was still without a ticket. A pit formed in my stomach and I prepared to pack it on home. Just then a loud voice came from the line. "Hey you gotta ticket?" Astounded to unbearable means I said "No". A burly man from Texas stood there in line with his arm outstretched with a ticket. I was about to pay him when he said "Merry Christmas" and refused any sort of payment.

Not exactly in any way connected to Regina Spektor, but its a story about something good that happened. Anybody have this sort of thing happen at a Regina concert?

The forum has been a little slow the past few days. Everbody Ok?

Well I myself have a story to post that has renewed my faith in humanity. Recently a movie I have been waiting for the last two years to be released had a special screening. This was amazing since the movie will not hit theaters for another 5 months. Unfortunately I found this out after they had sold out. A friend of mine had an extra ticket, but as some unfriendly friends can be he opted to sell it on Ebay. Here I was; without a ticket, convinced that humanity was bankrupt, and that my last friend of sorts had gone the way of the Dodo. I was stubborn so I camped inside the theatre with the hope of getting a scalped ticket. The line of people were let in and I was still without a ticket. A pit formed in my stomach and I prepared to pack it on home. Just then a loud voice came from the line. "Hey you gotta ticket?" Astounded to unbearable means I said "No". A burly man from Texas stood there in line with his arm outstretched with a ticket. I was about to pay him when he said "Merry Christmas" and refused any sort of payment.

Not exactly in any way connected to Regina Spektor, but its a story about something good that happened. Anybody have this sort of thing happen at a Regina concert?

Hey Shawn!

So what was the film, anyway? You were a little coy, not saying what it was Wink I'm intrigued! Hope it was worth the 2 year wait!

Ps: I'm in the same desk-job, internet-bound boat. Currently using the time trying to learn Yiddish, which is slightly...random...

Pps: Can't speak for the rest of the forum, but I'm okay, thank you Smiler

Ppps: Hey, also, to Giulia! I like your posts! Smiler

Hey Tooots,

Sorry for neglecting to name the movie. It was the big screen version of the short lived TV series Firefly, entitled Serenity. It was written and directed by Joss Whedon, the creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He was actually at the screening and I got his autograph. I wasn't as overwhelmed as when I met Regina, but it was awesome nonetheless.

Later Days

Shawn

P.S. I'm using my desk-job to read lots of Russian literature. Lots of Gogol!

Excellent use of a desk-job! I heartily approve! But I hope you're not saving up your pay to buy an overcoat. It's inadvisable Wink

Whilst we're on the Russian literature tip: have you read much/any Isaac Babel? He was an absolute dream of a short-story writer. Track him down, if you haven't already. He's up there with Chekhov/Carver/Maupassant/Borges/Mansfield in the pantheon of the greats. Enjoy!

At one point I was endeavoring to get an overcoat. Now I have become more in tune with acts of kindess. Would you happen to have any unfortunate souls who have departed since the last census? Wink

Thanks for the suggestions Tooots. I'll start reading Babel when I get done reading my book of Ezra Pound poems.

Later Days

Shawn

One more thing Tooots, what Babel translations would you recommend? I started looking him up and there were several translators. Otherwise I'll have to spend my desk-job time learning Russian, which would actually be cool. In the meantime though.... Looking forward to your response. Thanks Big Grin

Later Days

Shawn