Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

If Regina would ever do a cover song.....

i think covers kind of haev bad connetations as they're what we expect comptetition winners on tv start search programs to release as their first single - or general pop action in - er general... but i think there is possible huge merit in covers. (can merit be huge? not so sure but i certainly get the jist!) they certainly can exceed the original or even just give an equally awesome but different vibe to it - such as the late johnny cash's cover of Hurt by nine inch nails - wihch is incredible - and i'm actually a huget fan of the ryan adams cover of wonderwall.. and i have an awesome tori amos live cover of smell's like teen spirit. though it can sometimes be frustraiting hwen you go to a gig and the band cover some random ass song that appears to be inferior to their own stuff or alteast - randomass! also i think that with a lot of regina's songs we dont really have clue what she is singing about - sure you interpert certain lyrics but it is often more the feel of song and the fact that regina really gives a shit about what she's singing about and it comes across! hence i dont think the singing of other people's words is nessersairly (hmmm can't spell today!) the worst thing but nor can i imdeadiatly think of any covers that i would particularly think would be particularly awesome... though i think something completely different adapted to the piano and reginarised would be awesome like.... er... some brutal post hardcore?,,, er not so much.... must think... actually must do some revision! last two exams today and tomorrow. not that i wasnt inclined to write a sprawling and epic post anyways,.... er must run away! runaway!!!!

but i think it would be fun to hear people's own home made covers of regina's tunes!!! go on pick a tune!!! and put it on any instrument and do it - i was thinking of doing Us on the tuba... hmm not so much Smiler but twill be fun... i'm going to do all the row boats on the guitar.... (it's quite easy and the song is awesome.... !!!)

hurrah!

nic x

Mikemercury! Good call on the Cabaret, by the way! 'Wilkommen' would be great too. She'd knock Joel Grey into a cocked hat (dare I say it!).

"Words of Love" by Mama Cass and the Mamas and the Papas.

Big shiny tinkertoypiano glissandos; full-throated, bloody-nosed lyrics; the bright, painty taste of ennui with a pinch of self-loathing...

Certified gold, Baby!

"Love of My Life" by Queen. Actually, a CD of Queen covers would be great: Lily of the Valley, Somebody to Love, Who Needs You, Killer Queen, etc. Regina has the attitude and range for it. I can't think of many other artists who do. She might even make Another One Bites The Dust listenable.

The Jeep Song by the Dresden Dolls, Regina opened for them so I don't see why she couldn't return the favor since (I'm not sure on this) supposedly the Dolls covered a few songs by Regina. She could do fun stuff with that song too.

quote:
The perfect cover song for Regina. The Boomtown Rats: I Don't Like Monday's. It's mostly a piano based song and if your familiar with the lyrics, can't you just hear Regina singing, "I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down"? I hadn't heard the song in quite a while and when it came on the other day, I'm thinking this is a Regina style song. She would do it justice.

I think Ron Sexsmith's version is much better than the original. Hes the best.

quote:
Originally posted by The Guard:

The Jeep Song by the Dresden Dolls, Regina opened for them so I don't see why she couldn't return the favor since (I'm not sure on this) supposedly the Dolls covered a few songs by Regina. She could do fun stuff with that song too.

It's true, Amanda Palmer covered Chemo Limo and I think Ode to Divorce [solo].

Covers don't seem to be Regina's way. It's not about favors. You just do or you don't. Some see them as disreputable. I don't, but I think it's really nice when you find someone who just doesn't do them.

Regina HAS done covers doods!

If you recall the whole thing about the movie that she was in...."Winning Girls Through Psychic Mind Control".... she did one or two songs of her own for the soundtrack, and the rest were covers.

Which songs were in that film however, is a completely different question. I have no idea! Anyone know?

quote:
Originally posted by Dizzy:

"Words of Love" by Mama Cass and the Mamas and the Papas.

Big shiny tinkertoypiano glissandos; full-throated, bloody-nosed lyrics; the bright, painty taste of ennui with a pinch of self-loathing...

Certified gold, Baby!

If she's going to cover a Queen song, it has to be the theme from Flash Gordon. She could seriously do wonders with the "Flash...........ah ahhhh!" part.