Sign in to follow this  
andreseng

If Regina would ever do a cover song.....

The perfect cover song for Regina. The Boomtown Rats: I Don't Like Monday's. It's mostly a piano based song and if your familiar with the lyrics, can't you just hear Regina singing, "I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down"? I hadn't heard the song in quite a while and when it came on the other day, I'm thinking this is a Regina style song. She would do it justice.

DISCLAIMER: Now before you go flaming me for speaking such sacralige let me remind you that many great artists, at one time in their careers, have done covers. It doesn't take away from their song writing. It merely adds a new facet, shows versatility, and allows them to make a song their own. It might bring her more exposure too. Based on her TV appearances and touring I'd say she might be looking for the exposure. This way more people might find out what we already know, Regina is a major talent.

If you're not familiar with the song or the story behind it you can go here

The perfect cover song for Regina. The Boomtown Rats: I Don't Like Monday's. It's mostly a piano based song and if your familiar with the lyrics, can't you just hear Regina singing, "I wanna shoo-oo-oo-oo-oot the whole day down"? I hadn't heard the song in quite a while and when it came on the other day, I'm thinking this is a Regina style song. She would do it justice.

DISCLAIMER: Now before you go flaming me for speaking such sacralige let me remind you that many great artists, at one time in their careers, have done covers. It doesn't take away from their song writing. It merely adds a new facet, shows versatility, and allows them to make a song their own. It might bring her more exposure too. Based on her TV appearances and touring I'd say she might be looking for the exposure. This way more people might find out what we already know, Regina is a major talent.

If you're not familiar with the song or the story behind it you can go here

well.. there's a fun Lamb song called "B-line" that I think she would sing really coool...

"Suddenly I see....

I go BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA

Every time you walk in the room

No escape for me.....

I go BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA BADA

Every time you're close to me....."

xx

Is anyone going to suggest that 'Ginka should cover something from the Tori Amos songbook? Go on - I dare ya! Wink

I've a hunch she'd do amazing things with Peggy Lee's fantabulous "Is That All There Is?" (my favourite song, dontcha know), with its spooky spoken verses, and natty narrative.

I don't mean to be a dimwit, but how can you cover something you wrote yourself? Do you mean compose an original piece in the style of another artist?

actually i was just kind of saying (in a round about way) that i like hearing songs performed by their authors. Musicians i like often do a good job of singing other artists songs.....but im not a fan of covers.....especially recorded ones.

I understand. That's why I stopped listening to radio. Every other song is a cover or complete mutilation of an original piece. However, if Regina were to record a cover I wouldn't be against it. I respect her artistry enough to know she would do the original justice.

Thanks for the reply stwongbad85. (next time I'll pay a little more attention to your phrasing)

"I like hearing songs performed by their authors"

Does that mean you don't like great swathes of Aretha Franklin; Frank Sinatra; Billie Holliday; Motown, etc?

I understand where you're coming from, but there's certainly great merit in the skill of interpretation. There are a lot of bland covers, I know; but there are also many inspired interpretations that equal the original version by the author, and can definitely be considered creations in their own right: Screamin' Jay Hawkins'/Nina Simone's 'I Put A Spell On You'; Bob Dylan's/Van Morrison's 'It's All Over Now, Baby Blue'; Dylan's/Hendrix's 'All Along the Watchtower'; Leonard Cohen's/Jeff Buckley's 'Hallelujah', to name but an obvious few.

The act of investing the song with their own emotions - almost possessing it for themselves - reanimates the composition and creates it anew. It IS their song. It's like great acting in the theatre, or on film; Tennessee Williams wrote the words, but Brando brought them to life. The act of interpretation, at its best, can be just as vital as the original composition, that's all I'm saying (and saying..and saying!)

I'm sure no one on this thread wants Regina to forsake writing her own songs. I think we might possibly just have been having some...wait for it...fun.