Sign in to follow this  
kailee

ever hear people say bad stuff about regina?

Okay, so the other day I saw my younger brother (he's 21, I'm 24) who I don't see very often; I picked him up at his new apartment and as he was walking toward my car he looked at my stickers and said, what does that say? Looked at the little square sticker closer (I got it at the Roxy show in April) and read, "Regina Spektor." I nodded. "That sounds familiar," he said. He got into the passenger seat and I explained, she's a musician I'm in love with, she's a pianist, singer-songwriter, Russian Jewish, from New York .... I say, I wish I had some of her stuff to show you but it's not with me. He says, "Oh, ok, I know where I saw her. On Conan." I'm happy, I say, "Oh, how cool, you saw her on Conan?" and he says, "Yeah, I wasn't impressed. Seemed like she was trying to have this weird style and she was just trying to be Ani Difranco." Wtf? Ok, he is a blunt person (if we were discussing someone he liked I wouldn't be so rude), but got momentarily upset that he dismissed her so because of the Conan performance. Plus he doesn't know shit about Ani Difranco either. I said, "well, she was nervous, I think it was her first national t.v. appearance" and let it go. But it irked me a little! A friend told me later, "well, some people have to dislike her, right, otherwise it's not so special that you like her" or something to that effect. I understand that she may not be everyone's cup of tea but it made me feel a sort of psychic disappointment in my brother for not ... getting it, or even trying to. Anyone have any similar experiences or overhear anything maddening being said about Regina?

Okay, so the other day I saw my younger brother (he's 21, I'm 24) who I don't see very often; I picked him up at his new apartment and as he was walking toward my car he looked at my stickers and said, what does that say? Looked at the little square sticker closer (I got it at the Roxy show in April) and read, "Regina Spektor." I nodded. "That sounds familiar," he said. He got into the passenger seat and I explained, she's a musician I'm in love with, she's a pianist, singer-songwriter, Russian Jewish, from New York .... I say, I wish I had some of her stuff to show you but it's not with me. He says, "Oh, ok, I know where I saw her. On Conan." I'm happy, I say, "Oh, how cool, you saw her on Conan?" and he says, "Yeah, I wasn't impressed. Seemed like she was trying to have this weird style and she was just trying to be Ani Difranco." Wtf? Ok, he is a blunt person (if we were discussing someone he liked I wouldn't be so rude), but got momentarily upset that he dismissed her so because of the Conan performance. Plus he doesn't know shit about Ani Difranco either. I said, "well, she was nervous, I think it was her first national t.v. appearance" and let it go. But it irked me a little! A friend told me later, "well, some people have to dislike her, right, otherwise it's not so special that you like her" or something to that effect. I understand that she may not be everyone's cup of tea but it made me feel a sort of psychic disappointment in my brother for not ... getting it, or even trying to. Anyone have any similar experiences or overhear anything maddening being said about Regina?

ive found that most people that listen to radio head, bjork, and are also into experimental folk stuff like joanno newsome, devendra, Antony & J's....and those crowds trypically always like Regina when i introduce them to her..........but most people that listen to mainstream rock/pop typically just think she is weird and dosent like it when she makes "funny/strange noises" ....i understand why...i then proceed to tell them that they probabably really dont want me to put on my Cocorosie CDl.........but yeah it is really frusterating when people dismiss her music immediatley when they hear her do lip trails, or the vocal drum machine beats.........but hey.........its there loss

The few negative things I've gotten in response to Regina is from girls I know. When I was in college I tended to listen to Regina when walking around campus. Huge studio headphones were attached to my head at all times so people would ask me what I was listening to. Several of my friends said they thought she was an act and was just trying to ripoff other people. Later on I found out the girls were just annoyed because their boyfriends said they thought Regina was adorable. Since they had never used that word to describe their own girlfriends I think it made them jealous.

I also agree with stwongbad85. People who are used to music that is considered mainstream haven't developed an ear for all styles. I remember being a 5 year old who couldn't stand anything other than Duran Duran. The moment "Kiss" would come on the radio by Prince I would yell for by brother to change the station. Now after exposure to a myriad of styles I love everything. If you had given me Regina's music when I was in high school I probably wouldn't have liked it. (I went through an N'Sync phase...that I am only as of late able to admit)

Anyways if they don't like her they don't have to. Regina loves music and from what I can tell loves art in general....and from my perspective art isn't meant to please everyone.

Later peeps

Shawn

My mom hates her. I put it on in the car because my dad likes her and wanted to hear her. My mom was like "This is not music. You can write better." Sure. Sure. Anyways, my mom isn't like exposed to different types of music whereas my dad listens to classical and folk and rock. It got me angry when my mom kept on dissing Regina. Also, I took my friend to see Regina with me and she thought she was okay. She didn't like it much. She's a person who probably doesn't even know who Radiohead is. My point is, I guess if you're exposed to different types of music it's easy to like Regina.

Don't be too hard on her. People tend to not even listen to lyrics anymore. They listen for a moment and categorize it. Your mother may be viewing her through the pop music filter. If you have her listen to Songs you may be able to ease her into Regina's music. Soviet Kitsch is great, but it could be a little too much for her right now. Smiler If it doesn't work you at least have your Dad.

Later peeps

Shawn

Well, she sorta liked Daniel Cowman and she liked Us too. I got angry when she was saying things about her personally. None of us know her personally but her music, like she says is telling stories in other people's shoes so it's hard to have a picture of her personality and life by just listening to her music. My mom thinks she's on drugs. Frowner

Most of my friends refuse to listen to her, I got one friend to listen to a little of "Us" and she said she sounded like Aled Jones.

Usually, I would have just laughed at a comment like that, but I thought that it was really rude and got quite offended.

Not all storytellers write stories that are personally theirs. Some people write for the art and others as a way of emotional therapy. I think that's why alot of songs are about heartbreak and anger on the radio. As for the drugs thing.... I don't know about that...but I have been labeled a stoner on many occasions due to my often baggy eyes and tendancy to be scatter brained. Ecentricity is too often applied to drug use. Especially when people don't have a basis from where to understand you.

Later peeps

Shawn

Storytelling through the lives of fantasy characters is usually just a way of expressing your creativity and imagination and allowing people into your fantasy world for a few minutes. The average person really doesn't have that exciting of a life to entertain others with. "I woke up, ate breakfast, took the subway to work(school)" type shit. Besides, once they become well-known the media displays every aspect of their lives anyway, so it won't be anything new. It is also a way of bypassing unnecessary criticism, by allowing your fictional characters to express everything so you don't have any repercussions. They may just think your harmlessly weird for creating such stories, which I would take as a compliment, in relation to music standards lately.