Sign in to follow this  
kailee

ever hear people say bad stuff about regina?

I think Shawn hit it on the head with the comment on "pop music filter". I thought Regina was jusy okay when I first listened to her. I grew to love her after several listens. I definetly didn't get it at first. It takes a little time. Most people today are too busy to take the time. We live in a world of instant gratification. People take one listen and they're done. You know what? That's their loss. I don't care what other people think about Regina (including my wife). Regina must have developed a thick skin by now. I'm sure she would agree with me. Didn't someone here post an audio clip where after being heckled (I think someone asked her to play Freebird) she told the jerk where to go?? Those folks have a choice just like the rest of us. No one performer will ever be universally liked by everyone. It's just human nature. But those suckers sure don't know what they're missing Wink

Needless to say, my wife won't be using the ticket I bought for her to go to the Irving Plaza show. I'd rather it that way. I don't want her to go if she won't enjoy it. Although she might get it if she tried. I'll just write the ticket off as a donation to a woman who is a magnificent breath of fresh air in this mostly stale and stagnant world of music.

My father thinks all the "goddamn"s in Poor Little Rich Boy are unecessary.

So now I always turn up the volume at the part.

He has yet to hear about Mary Ann and her being a bitch.

But we're jewish, and I think he appreciates that Regina's doing her own thing and is successful.

Hmm, my parents think everybody I listen to is on drugs and/or drunk at the same time. Wink

My brother HATED the flowers, he honestly couldn't finish watching it. My sister says she can't sing, as does my dad and mom. But, I accept it. My other friend told me kindly, "She's not my style."

My mother is alright with her, doesnt listen to her much, but my dad, he will listen to her, but admits that he thinks she cant sing, he thinks its whiney. i personally love love love love it. seriously, such a brilliant girl, with brillant lyrics and a brilliant voice. keep it up and BRING OUT MORE CDS REGINA!

Normally I would not actively try to introduce Regina to anyone in my family; they have always thought I was weird when they'd hear particularly intense snippets of Radiohead or Tori Amos. My brother (the one I wrote about earlier) actually just recently admitted that Radiohead is a good band, yet all those years I was listening to them he wrote them off as kailee's weird music. So when I talked to him about Regina, it was just a casual mentioning, and though his reaction really annoyed me, I was not too surprised. I think it's true that you pretty much know who will like her (get her) and who won't. I made a Regina mix cd for one friend, who became obsessed within a week and knew all the lyrics. It made me happy to be able to drive around with someone and sing Regina! My boyfriend loves her but he won't really belt out the songs with me ...

Hahaha. The cd was: all of Soviet Kitsch, 3 songs from Songs: Samson, Prisoners, Oedipus Rex, Live recordings: Dance Anthem of the Eighties, Uh-Merica, Dusseldorf, the Ezra Pound song, and ummm .. I think that's it. I was just going to give her Soviet Kitsch, then realized I could put a bunch more on the cd so I gave her some of my favorites.

For some reason, we are all getting offended when people say they don't like our music. I personally get more offended when someone says "Regina sucks" then when someone says my own music is bad. It's because the fact that we listen to Regina is a big part of our selves... and when we tell other people that we listen to her, we're putting that part of us out on the floor, and then other people can stomp on it and walk all over it and it hurts. At least when it's my own music, I can take it as critique, and know my demographic, and learn from it, etc.

quote:
Originally posted by The Liberty Tax:

For some reason, we are all getting offended when people say they don't like our music. I personally get more offended when someone says "Regina sucks" then when someone says my own music is bad. It's because the fact that we listen to Regina is a big part of our selves... and when we tell other people that we listen to her, we're putting that part of us out on the floor, and then other people can stomp on it and walk all over it and it hurts. At least when it's my own music, I can take it as critique, and know my demographic, and learn from it, etc.

I usually just think people who don't like Regina have a very juvenile musical taste, and ignore them.