Sign in to follow this  
kailee

ever hear people say bad stuff about regina?

quote:
Originally posted by Rosa!:

Sometimes my mom calls her Rebecca Spektor to annoy me. Roll Eyes

We know a Rebecca Spektor, so my father, before his spontaneous conversion to intense reginism, referred to her as such. Amongst other much less friendly nicknames.

quote:

We know a Rebecca Spektor, so my father, before his spontaneous conversion to intense reginism, referred to her as such. Amongst other much less friendly nicknames.

That same thing happened with my dad! Now, whenever I'm listening to Regina and he walks by he usually says: "That's the russian girl right? She's gooood..." Big Grin

For about three months, any time I mentioned Reg (which, in all fairness, was quite a bit) one of my sisters/brothers would say "Is she related to Phil Spector?

Purely to annoy me...

it's not exactly bad about Regina, but it's hella irritating...I eventually gave in and stopped death-glaring at them whenever they said it.

Editted because I cannot spell - this post was sort of a disaster xD

As has been mentioned before, many of the harshest criticisms of Regina's music are due to discomfort with its resistance to categorization under the rubric "pop" music. As indicated in several interviews, RS considers herself an artist. There are several important points about art that can disqualify it from the widespread praise given to many top-40 musicians.

1) art is art

2) art does not make any promises to be reassuring or uplifting; it simply shows.

3) art is not contained within dichotomies such as "good" and "evil"--it is beyond them and despite them.

4) art is not political

Of course, I do not think that "pop" artists are incapable of producing high art. I typically construe pop music as most everything that is not classical or jazz. Folk might have its own category, however.

She is a very original, and I argue artistic, mind. I assume that most people who love the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Chopin think she is a dream come true for "pop" music.

In fact, I might describe her to my friends as being "like the more imagistic lyrics of Bob Dylan and the music of Chopin." But even that is difficult because each song is a unique world and there are scarcely any similarities from one to the next...

quote:
Originally posted by Me Myself:

As has been mentioned before, many of the harshest criticisms of Regina's music are due to discomfort with its resistance to categorization under the rubric "pop" music. As indicated in several interviews, RS considers herself an artist. There are several important points about art that can disqualify it from the widespread praise given to many top-40 musicians.

1) art is art

2) art does not make any promises to be reassuring or uplifting; it simply shows.

3) art is not contained within dichotomies such as "good" and "evil"--it is beyond them and despite them.

4) art is not political

Of course, I do not think that "pop" artists are incapable of producing high art. I typically construe pop music as most everything that is not classical or jazz. Folk might have its own category, however.

She is a very original, and I argue artistic, mind. I assume that most people who love the Beatles, Bob Dylan, and Chopin think she is a dream come true for "pop" music.

In fact, I might describe her to my friends as being "like the more imagistic lyrics of Bob Dylan and the music of Chopin." But even that is difficult because each song is a unique world and there are scarcely any similarities from one to the next...

Very nice post!!!! Smiler

This critic's problem is that (s)he makes judgments only by comparison--comparison to other artists and comparison to what (s)he apparently sees in RS's prior music as being of better quality by virtue of being more eccentric. "Better" is called droll by being likened to Coldplay--it has a delay effect which "Coldplay would cream for." "Edit" and "That Time" are bafflingly compared to the angsty-teen music of Avril Lavigne. "That Time" is humorous because it caricatures--this reviewer misses the intent entirely.

Second problem: in the vast majority of reviews, you will find a high frequency of the words "eccentric" and/or "quirky." The only explication the present reviewer makes of what (s)he calls "lyrical quality" is a function of "eccentricity"--(s)he cites "I dream of orca whales" and "a little bag of cocaine" as such. The alleged "quirkiness" that so oft wins RS comparison with other singer-songwriters is really just a crutch in lieu of actual interpretation. Consequently, very superficial readers/listeners to her fail to perceive any value whatsoever in her less imagistic or evocative lyrics--i.e., those of "Fidelity," and "Better." This review fails to comment upon "Summer in the City," without doubt the best track on the album, making the assessment incomplete.

This review suffers from a common problem within pop-music criticism: a lack of center in judging artistic quality.

As a corollary to what I said above, no pop musician should feel pressured to "stay unique" to appease purist fans, lest (s)he be lumped into the category of "just like Coldplay, " "just like Avril," or some other such generalization.