Sign in to follow this  
kailee

ever hear people say bad stuff about regina?

my parents both like her. actually, apparently (i don't remember this) my dad was listening to a while ago and i came in and said i thought it was crap. then he forgot about her and i discovered her for myself, and it was happiness. my mom's only problem is that she thinks "she's such a pretty girl why does she have to have a beer bottle shoved in her mouth. i'm sure thst doesn't make her mother happy". my friend asked why i was listening to a drunk sing. but he has such different taste, he doesn't like any of my stuff. hurah first post!

yeah i showed my mate at work and he goes "its just her....and a piano....i cant bare it - is boring!"

i was like "YOUR STUPID!" lol.

i guess he likes simple set up music with drums bass and guitars! (nothing wrong with it...i guess he likes top of the pops a lot)

I actually let my mom listen to "Sailor Song" ...and she liked it. LOL. But she has really mellowed out in the last few years. The reason shy likes a few of Regina's songs are because they are "water themed" ...we are from a little island off the coast of NC so mom likes anything nautical..and we have a big sailor/boat ancestory ...so when she heard "Mary Annes a Bitch" she thought it seemed like what she'd hear some drunk sailor at a bar singing...and thought it was funny.

My husband likes her a lot as well. He thinks she has a sexy and cute voice.

As for negative...I saw on a forum somewhere about music...that this guy listened to a few of her songs...it was entitled "Did I miss something" ...and he wanted to know if he was the only one that thought she sounded like a five year old at the piano.

I can understand what he's saying because what I love about Regina's music is that she's "playful" and "silly" ...and I suppose some people left those two attributes of their personality at the door when they turned six.

Shame for them...complete shame.

We're all just children at heart here...forever young and playful. I'm proud of that.

As for a "Tori Amos Knockoff" ...haha. People love to lump singers together in labels and groups and then dismiss them like that...its' so common...but being a Tori fan ...I know they are similiar in the unique sounds...but that's where the similarities end. They are both their own artists that is for sure.

Regina is not a manufactured pop star. She's a real person, who creates real music. I think she's not for the faint of heart, or those who are too "sheltered" in the mainstream media. She doesn't censor herself in the updates she posts on her website (ie using the f-word), and i love the beer bottle photo.

when my friends were on the offs with a fellow whom i was once acquainted with, he used regina as a personal attack on them, exclaiming in text, "yea well u need 2 stop lisnin 2 emo crap lyk Ragena Speckter".

i do believe that beigns such as this demonstration should not be permitted to exist in the mainstream of society.

When I first heard her i thought her lyrics were so blunt and different like you could hear every word and I loved it it was kinda fun and strange but now I've heard more of her I think of her completely differently(don't worry she's still fun) But this might have something to do with the fact that the first songs of hers i'd ever heard before I even knew her name were us and ghost of corporate future? I was introduced by my brother and his girlfriend and I think I might just possibly the youngest fan on this site (I'm 12) but unlike all those other little pre teens I could care less about what is cool and popular. I have only tried to introduce my friend diana to her so far but she is so much like me I can garantee she'll love it(I can also garantee her favourite song will be reading time with pickle) My other friends are either emo, punk/goth, so extremely christian it drives me insane, or just have different style

quote:
Originally posted by ragamuffin:

when my friends were on the offs with a fellow whom i was once acquainted with, he used regina as a personal attack on them, exclaiming in text, "yea well u need 2 stop lisnin 2 emo crap lyk Ragena Speckter".

i do believe that beigns such as this demonstration should not be permitted to exist in the mainstream of society.

I agree and that guy isn't cool just cuz he spells "like" lyk

Well, I have to admit that the one listen to 'Baby Jesus' made me buy a ticket to her Birmingham show in late January. It may be the only track that will get me like that, but I remember when my brother first played me REM. It took a while to grow on me.

Generally I have the policy that I like what I like and don't care who else likes it or not. As the Mighty Stwongbad the Baad says, it's their loss if they don't like it. I never play the music I love to my dad because I know he won't like it and will make some stoopid comment. If it's not jazz or classical he doesn't like it. His problem, not mine.

I think ani difranco is trying to be like regina. Wink

For the most part, regina is the artist I keep to myself. My boyfriend introduced her to me and he's gone now so it's still special.

I do however have a friend who is vaguely familiar with her... I have a suitcoat I sharpied all over and she pointed to the bit that says "soon we'll go to sleep" and said "that's from carbon monoxide!"

She also thanked me for about four tracks out of a gargantuan list of recommendations I gave her, and Your Honor was one of them.

at the same time that i do get people disliking regina, it sometimes surprises me when people do. i have played her stuff to friends who have been into very mainstream music and call tori amos 'weird' and radiohead 'depressing' and some of them LOVE her! i have one friend who mainly listens to punk rock or metal, and she loves regina now! so i think she is more accessible than i maybe give her credit for. i love playing her music to people because it does get such extreme reactions.