Sign in to follow this  
kailee

ever hear people say bad stuff about regina?

quote:
Originally posted by kailee:

Oh and Kandi, I would say that your friend doesn't get Regina, so you should just stop trying to make her like Regina and stop worrying about it. Best friends don't have to share all interests, right?

i know that she genuinely likes regina because she'll just randomly sing my lyrics from songs i told her about and thought she didn't like. (meaning that she obviously did some listening on her own time) but she's just not the kind of person who can get all the way into an artist. like she chooses just a few songs from each artist as opposed to listening to a whole album.

today i hung out with three people who said they all like regina. (one of them being the girl i was talking about above)

i decided i'd wear my chair t-shirt because most of the time people are like "wtfisthat?" and i figured they'd know at least.

one of them sat there trying to read the respekt thing for like 5 minutes. i was like "ARE YOU SERIOUS YOU TOLD ME YOU LIKE REGINA"

they were all really confused about the chair, too. i felt like such a failure as their friend haha.

and then i went to practice wearing it and people's faces were priceless Roll Eyes

I've actually never heard of anyone giving a serious listen to Regina and not liking her... Except my mom, but she's my mom... Lol.

I know someone who claims to despise Regina, but will admit to secretly adoring her... He just had a bad experience where he got high and watched Fidelity on repeat for a really long time and sort of developed a temporary aversion to it.

hmm... my friends are into the music they like because 1. they grew up on it, or 2. they grew up on the polar oposite of it and are now rebelling against their parents by listening to *gasp* the fray! haha

anyway, i was trying to figure out why i accepted Reg so easily, and i think it's mostly cause i've never bothered to associate my tastes to a particular genre. So when i heard Fidelity, it sort of clicked, because, apparently, Reg isn't associated to any particular genre, either.

when i first discovered i was into her, instead of liking a few songs, (haha good memories.) i was excited, but afraid to share, so everyone i knew was aware that i was into regina spektor, but knew nothing about her.

me: "i really like her voice, and her music is so powerful!"

random person: "really? what's it sound like?"

me: "no! nothing! okay! go away!"

anyway, when i finally showed people (because anyone who knows me knows i can't keep a good thing to myself for long) these were the general reactions:

brother: "she'd have a good voice if she'd stop being so wierd! is she on drugs or something?"

(i start brooding; my brother wasnt' raised on any particular genre, either!)

mom: "she can't even sing! what's wrong with her? she sounds like she has ADhD. she sounds like a little kid on a piano. her songs make no sense. she is on drugs!"

(more brooding, and maybe an internal tantrum)

best friend: gives me looks for 5 minutes straight, then, of all things: Roll Eyes

so, at this point, all hope is lost. i am alone with my apparently drug-riddled new, mysterious fav artist. No way dad will like her. He's too crirtical.

so, i wind up showin her to dad. (lol)

dad: "she's different. Where'd you say she grew up, again? .... yeah, i really like that! play me another! .... it's interresting, because the instrument she uses the most isn't strings, piano, or drums, it's her voice! ... that girl can sang! ... SANG, GIRL! (lol) ... what's she look like? oh, she's pretty! ... jewish, huh? .... you know she on drugs, right, Bri?

lol

so yeah. the quest continues.

oh, and i have a friend who i knew for, like, 3 years, and i decided to bring Reg up. and she goes "oh yea, i heard her on a JC Penny commercial or something, and i got really into her for a while." i never asked her how on earth she got "out" of Regina!!

oh, and update: i've forced her down my mom's throat, and now mom actually likes her! best friend hangs up on me if i start singing a reg song (i'd hang up on me, too), both parents have stopped insisting on the drugs, finally. She's officially "just wierd" around my house haha and they both recognise the beauty of her voice. Mom's amazed that she can sing beautifully one minute, then go off on a "tengent", then bring the song back to "normal" again. (See: Mockingbird)

this message is way too long....

I once linked Reg's picture on another forum (we were supposed to link the picture of the most beautiful person in the world). Then someone said that she's really ugly. I kindly told that person that I wish him/her a very painful death.

my friend chris says that she's boring and ugly. Frowner i get really upset when he talks about her. what really irks me is that he's a huge mandy moore fan, and regina is SO much better than mandy moore... obviously. i just don't get it, and it makes me get really mad at him, so i don't even bring her up in conversation lol.

quote:
Originally posted by nickynacker:

my friend chris says that she's boring and ugly. Frowner i get really upset when he talks about her. what really irks me is that he's a huge mandy moore fan, and regina is SO much better than mandy moore... obviously. i just don't get it, and it makes me get really mad at him, so i don't even bring her up in conversation lol.

Ugh! I think Mandy Moore is ugly.

My little brother HATES regina and thinks she's ugly, so I hear about it everyday.... It sucks. But he's forced to hear her music all of the time because me and my little sis are always playing it of course so that cancels it out. The only one he semi can "like" is Better.

My dad hates her too Frowner

But my current crush loves Regina, he's the first boy I've met here in Raleigh that likes her