Beacon Theatre - June 17, 2009

quote:
Originally posted by BitsOfBone:

quote:
Originally posted by Appt:

quote:
Originally posted by Marry Ann:

APPT

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE WONDERFUL RECORDING!!!!

You're absolutely welcome

Appt... I could kiss you. It's beautiful. Thank you.

That's so sweet of you!

Download also the recording on http://www.nyctaper.com/ It goes ridiculously slow now, I only managed to download a snippet but it seems to me that the nyctaper's recording has a bit more focus on Reg's voice. Decide for yourselves which one suits you better.

quote:
Originally posted by Klaymen:

I came up to NYC from Philly just to see the show (I didn't get home til 6:45 AM -- the trains stopped running!).

It was a fantastic show, but a few things bothered me. First and foremost, if you were on a balcony (which I was), the Beacon Theater's acoustics were TERRIBLE. The volume was very, very low, and sometimes it was hard to hear Regina over people talking. Very annoying (though certainly not Regina's fault).

Secondly, I was super excited that she played Lucky Penny, but her performance of it was pretty bad. I remember her voice going extremely off key at one point. I'm not too upset about it though; her performance is demanding, she was bound to make a mistake once in a while.

And I guess the final complaint is I feel like Regina was absolutely plowing through the songs at record speeds. She got on about 9:15 and ended around 10:45, including the encore break and all the talking with the audience. In that time, she played 22 songs. She squeezed a lot into that pretty short period of time, and I think at time the songs suffered. For example, besides forgetting the lyrics to Consequence of Sounds (which I thought was funny), she raced through the song really quickly, which kind of sucked because the whole song is lyrics pretty much, which are meant to be heard! However, in other cases, like Poor Little Rich Boy, when she went really fast, I had no problem with it, because it was funny as hell (andyouthinkthatyoushouldbutshethinksthatshe'sfatbutsheisn'tbutyoudon'tloveheranyway).

All in all, I had a great time. It was the first time I saw Regina where she was actually headlining.

A question though...does she EVER play anything from 11:11? I was extremely surprised she played anything from Songs...

As to Lucky Penny, listening to the show, she does sound a little off on that one. Sounds like nerves. It's alwasy tougher to start shows with "quiet," songs. Easier to get lost in the sound of a full band, as the nerves settle.

As to the the pacing of the show, again, it's quite common when nervous, to play too fast.

It's the first show. Pacing usually gets better as the tour goes on and of course, it's the first time she's played some of these songs live. She still has to work out the kinks.

^^Yes, she hasn't done a show in quite a while. She was definitely nervous also she started with Folding Chair which I think is her "safe" song. She seems to play it a lot when in, for her, strange situations. I feel she got more comfortable after Lucky Penny and rest of the show was spot-on. As you said, JosephCa64, it was the first show of the tour. She was great nevertheless but she will get even better with time.

I hate college so much!! I can't believe I missed all this yesterday!

Thank you thank you for the awesome recording and videos guys!!

All the Holocaust Deniers is so powerful! I love it

Machine sounds amazing live!!

I can't go back to study, this is just too exciting. I'm listening to Consequence of sounds now! Big GrinBig Grin

yesss i now have riot gear and all the holocaust deniers on my itunes. thank you! i knew i could count on brumstix for anything Smiler

i'm gonna post a facebook album today of pictures from yesterday's amazing show.

oh and meeting her at the end is always worth it! she's so much fun to listen to lol. i still don't know how anyone could be so perfect.

I'm currently editing my recording, I should have it up in a couple hours... I listened to it all in my car on the way home and I was really happy with the quality, it's much better than my previous efforts.